Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie. - Jim Davis

Monday, October 29, 2012

Fruit Salsa

So last night I was clueless as to what to make for dinner.  I really wanted to make a chowder of some sort, then decided against it at the last minute - mainly because I can never make it taste like my mom's.  And since her's is delish and mine is less so, I don't bother.  I should really ask her for her recipes sometime. 

While wander around the grocery store I settled on fish.  Haddock specifically.  Then came the decision of what to do with it:  batter it, bake it...oh the possibilities.  Then an idea struck: I'd pan fry the fish and make a fruit salsa to go on top!  Perfect!

And it really was close to perfect, if I do say so myself. 

This is one of those less exact, make it how you wish recipes.  Here is mine:

1 mango, diced
1 ring of pineapple, diced
1 plum, diced (if you're patient enough, peeled)
1 mini cuke, seeded and diced
1 ring slice of red onion, diced
1 side of an orange bell pepper, diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, diced finely
1/2 - 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
juice of one lime
healthy sprinkle of sugar
healthy sprinkle of salt

Throw everything into a bowl and let is sit a while; at least an hour.  It will be come juicy and delicious.  If you want it juicier add more salt and/or sugar. 

The only thing I wished I had thought to add to it was strawberries.  Peaches would be quite yummolicious in this as well. I only use a half a jalapeno and found it to be plenty spicy.  If you like it spicier go for the whole shebang.  Just remember the heat comes from the seeds and ribs, so be sure to remove those, unless you like it inferno spicy, then by all means give'er.

I recommend for this recipe you use a mild flavored white fish.  As I mentioned I went with haddock. 

Once your fish is cooked and you've decided and prepared what your side will be (I went with regular white rice) spoon this colorful delight on top. 

It was flavorful and fresh and was a perfect complement to the fish.  This is something I will definitely make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment