Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie. - Jim Davis

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stuffed Mushroom Caps with Roasted Veggies

I again was in the mood to cook today.  I always enjoy cooking but there are some days when I just *want* too cook.  And today was definitely one of those days.

I made a trip to the Farmer's Market yesterday and came home with carrots, beets, milk, cheese and a bottle of wine.  A well rounded trip if I do say so myself!

I knew I wanted to roast the beets and carrots and wanted something to go with them.  I made a trip to the grocery store to see what grabbed my attention.  And then there they were, portobello mushroom caps.  And there, my friends, was the inspiration for dinner this evening.

The Mushrooms

6-8 mushroom caps
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
half a large onion, minced
1 carrot, grated
8-10 asparagus spears, chopped into half inch size pieces
1-1.5 cups broccoli florets cut up into small pieces
1 package ground sausage meat (I used mild)
olive oil
cheese

Preheat oven to 425

-Prepare mushroom caps. Scoop out the ribs and remove the stem.  Place in baking dish, stem side up.
-Brown sausage meat in pan over medium heat
-Throw all the veggies and garlic in a separate pan with a splash of olive oil and cook until onions are soft and broccoli is cooked through
-Combine the sausage with the veggies
-Scoop mixture into the mushroom caps
-Bake in oven 12-15minutes
-Top with grated cheese, place back in oven until cheese melts

The Veggies

1 small bag of baby potatoes
1-2 onions, quartered
12 carrots (the bunches you can buy with the tops still on); or as many as required to feed your party
12 beets

-Remove tops from beets. Place in a foil pouch with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Bake at 425 for 40mins.
-Prepare veggies, place in baking dish with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake at 425 25mins.
-Remove beets from oven, allow to cool enough to handle to remove the skins. Place beets in same dish as rest of veggies.  Return to oven, bake an additional 15mins.



No comments:

Post a Comment