Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie. - Jim Davis

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Nacho Casserole

Ok ladies and gents, this is a fly by the seat of my pants creation.  So if you're expecting an exact recipe this is not the post for you.  But, if you are expecting a description of how I created tonight's yummolicious dinner then this post is exactly for you!

The decision of what to make for dinner tonight was more of a challenge than it should have been.  I spent the day at work and just wanted something easy when I came home. Unfortunately for me I am running low in the grocery department.  Random bits and pieces I have, but actual things to make a cohesive meal? Not so much.

I opened my cupboard and spied a bag of nacho chips, a jar of tomato sauce and a can of corn.  I also knew I had a small package of ground beef in the freezer.  I was pretty certain I could create something out of these things, so off I went.

Preheat oven to 325F

1) Brown ground beef in pan.
2) Drain off fat.
3) Add can of corn and a can of mushrooms
4) In separate bowl mix together a few spoon fulls of mayo (the tangy Miracle Whip stuff, not the legit mayo), a healthy pour of tomato sauce (see, told you this wouldn't be exact), a sprinkle of paprika, cayenne and chilli powder.
5) Pour mayo mixture over ground beef, stir.
6) In bottom of baking dish crumble nacho chips - just sort of break up the chips so they lay flatter in the dish, but don't mulch them up too much
7) Pour the beef-mayo mixture over the nachos
8) Bake at 325 for 15-20mins
9) Remove from oven, top with grated cheese of your choice (I used white cheddar)
10) Return to oven for another 5mins to melt cheese
11) Place heaping piles of this delightfulness into bowls 
12) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment